St Dominic’s Convent, Stone is the home of the Dominican Sisters of the English Congregation of St Catherine of Siena.
The convent was founded by mother Margaret Hallahan who assembled together the first ever community of active Dominican sisters in England in 1845.
The convent had close connections with major catholic figures of the nineteenth century. Blessed Cardinal Henry Newman, a close friend of some of the sisters of the congregation, preached the inaugural sermon in the convent church.
Augustus Pugin designed the smaller chapel of the convent which had previously been used by Blessed Dominic Barbari as a church and a school. Edward Elgar’s sister was a member of the Dominican community.
We are deeply grateful to the Prioress and community of St Dominic’s Convent in Stone, Staffordshire, for supporting and hosting CEPHAS. Our sessions are organised so that participants, if they would like, may join in the daily liturgy of the Stone Community.